Chances are, you've heard of these myths and probably believe some of them. Because there really is not much scientific talk in this subject of beards, many opinions are thrown around.
Here are 15 of the most common beliefs about growing a beard, which are far from the truth.
1.) "I can't grow a beard, it's not in my genetics."
2.) "A beard takes x amount of time to grow."
3.) "Shaving makes the beard grow thicker".
Reality: Shaving your beard makes the journey longer and is counterproductive towards achieving a fuller beard. The reason this misinformation is so commonly spread around is because when the hair follicle is shaved off with a razor, the thicker part of the hair follicle is exposed, giving the illusion of a "thicker" hair. Shaving will do no physiological or biological change to your beard density or growth rate. There have even been studies that debunked this myth.
4.) "If my beard has not filled in by the time I'm in my early 20s, it never will."
5. "Beards will make you feel hot in the summer."
6. "Beards are not welcome for an interview/job."
7. "Others think my beard makes me look homeless/creepy".
8. "The full bearded look is the only attractive beard style".
9. "My beard patches will not fill in, so I can't achieve a full beard."
10. "My beard grows wirey/curly, and these wirey beards are unattractive."
11. "Beards are itchy, scratchy, and create flakes/beardruff"
12. "There's nothing you can do to grow a beard faster."
13. "Minoxidil (Rogaine) will not grow my facial hair and it is dangerous."
14. "Beard growth supplements will boost beard growth."
15. "Beard growth oils/pills/products can boost beard growth."
16. Bonus Tip: Biotin & Collagen Supplements May Help With Beard Growth
Biotin may help with you beard growth if you are deficient. You don't need to go overboard with this however, supplementing 5,000mcg a few times a week is adequate.
Collagen supplements are wonderful, especially if you are using Minoxidil, as Minoxidil has been shown to inhibit collagen production. In case you didn't know, collagen is the skin protein that is responsible for youthful looking, soft, wrinkle-free skin, and healthy, strong hair follicles.
Hopefully this informed you of how many widespread myths there are in this subject of facial hair. Next time, you can explain to your relative or friend on how shaving does not make the follicles thicker.